Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Advanced Search - RaiderSearch Catalog
- Select [Advanced Search] to conduct a more detailed search. Use [Advanced Search] when you have multiple terms you wish to combine in a search, especially if they are different kinds of terms. This is the same screen you see if you have results on the screen and click [Modify Search].
- Change the [Any Field:] box to select [Author], [Title], [Subject], [Notes/Table of Contents], depending on how specifically you wish to search. You can also change the boxes labeled [AND], [AND NOT], [OR], or [NEAR]. These are called Boolean operators.
- AND combines the search terms - the catalog will only find records that have ALL words listed (psychology and art)
- OR is useful for similar terms or if you are searching multiple subjects - the catalog will find records that have ANY of the words listed (dog or canine)
- AND NOT excludes search terms, only finding records that do NOT have the selected term listed (foreign policy and not iraq
- NEAR finds words that are within ten words of each other, a very useful tool when the AND search is finding your search terms in entirely different parts of the record (education near elementary)