Skip to main content
Advanced Search - RaiderSearch Catalog
- Select [Advanced Search] to conduct a more detailed search. Use [Advanced Search] when you have multiple terms you wish to combine in a search, especially if they are different kinds of terms. This is the same screen you see if you have results on the screen and click [Modify Search].
- Change the [Any Field:] box to select [Author], [Title], [Subject], [Notes/Table of Contents], depending on how specifically you wish to search. You can also change the boxes labeled [AND], [AND NOT], [OR], or [NEAR]. These are called Boolean operators.
- AND combines the search terms - the catalog will only find records that have ALL words listed (psychology and art)
- OR is useful for similar terms or if you are searching multiple subjects - the catalog will find records that have ANY of the words listed (dog or canine)
- AND NOT excludes search terms, only finding records that do NOT have the selected term listed (foreign policy and not iraq
- NEAR finds words that are within ten words of each other, a very useful tool when the AND search is finding your search terms in entirely different parts of the record (education near elementary)